Title: Development Associate
Reports To: Executive Director
The Development Associate is responsible for coordinating key projects related to the development and fundraising efforts for The State Theatre of Ithaca and supporting key volunteers working on Development campaigns. This position manages the administrative functions of the Development program with a high emphasis on data entry as well as assists in donor stewardship and cultivation process, activities and communications related to Volunteer Committees, as well as patron services and customer services as they relate to fundraising. The role assists in the preparation of funding proposals; annual appeals; solicitor reports; gift tables; and provides assistance to support successful fundraising efforts, specifically in Capital Projects and Annual Fund areas. The Development Coordinator works closely with all areas of Development and Marketing to support a comprehensive fundraising campaign.
Working for the not-for-profit organization that owns and operates Tompkins County’s last remaining historic performing arts theatre, the Development Associate reports to the Executive Director. The position executes project management duties and support to the marketing and communications activities. The Development Associate provides quality customer assistance to donors in person, by phone and by correspondence. The role manages special projects as assigned as well as provides administrative support to the Department.
- Oversees the input of all Donor Data into the Donor Database and generates reports for solicitors as well as for segmentations for annual appeals. Runs reports regularly for the Board of Directors, Development Committee and State Theatre Foundation to assist with goal setting for each fiscal year.
- Assists in the management of Capital and Annual giving stewardship projects, including mailings/emails of current press releases, articles, and agency reports to current donors and prospects; creating invitation lists and follow-up on event invitations; recognition gifts; individually designed sponsor gifts and recognition pieces; etc.
- Assists with drafting written materials such as correspondence, fundraising appeals, newsletters articles, etc.
Oversee the State Theatre’s Exclusive Membership Program and will create a marketing campaign that will help them reach the goal of attaining at least 100 total members by December 2019.
Helps identify and cultivate new prospects in Corporate and Annual Giving areas
Manages the proofing, distribution, and deadlines for donor listings in a timely, proactive and accurate manner.
Assists with select events, including creating and maintaining invitation lists; invitation design and production; follow-up with event attendees. Will work with high-powered, actively involved volunteer committees, other department and agency staff as appropriate.
Ensures donor-centric focus in all donor communications, and manages cross departmental communications.
Maintains donor records and files as well as archiving Development action plans and campaign strategies.
Performs work on special projects, event attendance, and other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Standard qualifications include:
- Minimum two years related work experience, preferably in Development
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Knowledge of professional and ethical standards for fundraising.
- Demonstrated track record of successful project management.
- Past experience in data entry; generating reports in a strategic and organized fashion.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Excellent written and verbal skills required.
- Strong in data entry and management- ability to produce reports and manage data effectively.
- Ability to represent the organization professionally.
- Knowledge of fundraising resources such as databases, directories, etc.
- Work with volunteer leaders and Committee members.
- Ability to interact in an effective and professional manner with people from diverse backgrounds including staff, consultants, board members, volunteers, donors, business leaders, etc.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Knowledge of donor research techniques.
Strong initiative, the ability to work independently or as part of a team, and the ability to meet deadlines are essential.
Experience using word-processing, spreadsheets and database software required.
Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed, to travel, and must have a valid driver’s license.
Passion for Historic Theatres and the Performing Arts a plus.
The Development Associate is a 12-month position with a generous benefits package and paid time off.
State Theatre of Ithaca, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics and encourages all to apply.
Please send cover letter and resume by 5:00 PM on Friday, July 6th to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development Associate” in the title of the email.